Thursday, January 28, 2010

Waiting for baseball


I can feel it coming! As a look outside and see snow on the ground, I just keep telling myself it's only 68 days 'till MLB Opening Day, when the World Series Champion New York Yankees will play the Boston Red Sox. I cannot wait. When baseball season starts, spring unofficially begins, school is almost over, the weather doesn't always suck, and best of all, every night I get to come home, turn on the YES network, and watch some New York Yankee baseball.

Say what you will about the slowness of the game, or the steroid scandals, or the lack of a salary cap, but baseball is the one sport that is always there for you. During baseball season, no matter how you're day went, whether you had the best day of your life, or the crappiest day ever, when you come home your favorite baseball team is always there for you to watch. You can't say that about football; teams play once a week. Basketball and hockey too; every team has a substantial amount of off days. But not baseball! It doesn't matter what day of the week, when I come home at night and I'm exhausted and I wanna relax, my Yankees are always there for me.

When baseball season is going on, life is good. I spent many days last summer taking the bus over the George Washington Bridge, and riding the subway into the Bronx to go to Yankee games and I am so pumped to start taking that trip again. Baseball signifies freedom, tradition, family, America... wow, I love baseball! Bob Klapisch, a writer for the Bergen Record, says that he writes about a little slice of heaven called the baseball season. And I completely agree; if there is such a thing as heaven, I think it would be baseball season year round. We're still 68 days away from that little slice of heaven, and I'm starting to get impatient, but when it comes, it will feel so good.

And even though we got awhile to go, I'm going to make a prediction right now: The New York Yankees will repeat as World Series champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment