Monday, January 18, 2010

The unbelievable "other" New York team


The New York Jets were 7-7 after losing a heartbreaker to the Falcons when Jets coach Rex Ryan himself, declared the Jets out of the playoffs. Just 28 days after that loss, The New York Jets are going to the AFC championship game.

It's hard to come up with words to describe the utter shock and disbelief that most people, myself included, are feeling about the Jets. At the beginning of the playoffs Rex Ryan said the Jets should be the favorite to win it all; everyone was laughing at him. Now, after the Jets went to Cincinnati and manhandled the Bengals, then traveled across the country to San Diego and beat the Chargers, the laughing has ceased. The Jets are for real.

I am a lifelong Giants fan who has always been making fun of the "other" team that plays in the Meadowlands, but right now I have nothing to say. In fact, I find myself rooting for the Jets. How can I not root for the "other" New York team, when they have a very likable rookie QB in Mark Sanchez, a tough as nails defense full of players like Darrelle Revis and Bart Scott, and a hilarious and very passionate head coach in Rex Ryan? The Jets are fun to watch and in a lot of ways they remind me of the 2007 Giants.

On sunday the Jets travel to Indy to take on the Colts, the team that sat their starters against the Jets in the second to last game of the season, permitting the Jets to make the playoffs. The Colts (well back then they were the Baltimore Colts) are also the team the Jets beat in Superbowl III when Joe Namath made his famous guarantee. Now Rex Ryan is making the guarantees. These are the kind of stories and teams that make sports great, I mean no one thought the Jets would be where they are now, but they are. Sports are unpredictable. The Jets are unbelievable.

I think the Colts will beat the Jets. Sorry, but there's no way I'm betting against Peyton at home. But, hey you never know and I hope I'm wrong, cause on sunday I'll be rooting for the Jets just as much as Fireman Ed is, well not that much but...

My Predictions:
Colts 24
Jets 10

Saints 35
Vikings 31

No comments:

Post a Comment