Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Massachusetts, politics, and Scorsese

I hate the state of Massachusetts. I always have. I hate their food, their music, their accents, and most of all I despise the Red Sox. In the near future I will be looking at colleges to attend, and people always say, Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, etc. Even though there are about 600 colleges in Massachusetts, I will not even consider looking at them. I would rather go to Bergen Community College than Harvard (not kidding).

Yesterday, Massachusetts elected Republican Scott Brown to take the place of the late Ted Kennedy, in the Senate. This means that there are 41 Republicans in the Senate so the Democrats no longer have a super majority and Obama's health care bill will, in all likelihood, not pass. When I heard the news I was shocked, heartbroken, angered, (I really want universal health care) and then I looked for answers. The experts said that the Massachusetts vote says a lot about Obama's popularity, it does. In just a year, Obama's ratings have plunged drastically and Massachusetts, which voted for Obama in the presidential election, has switched sides. The experts also said that the universal health care plan was not popular with the public, this may be true too. But, even the experts at CNN do not know the real reason why Scott Brown won in Massachusetts. I will tell you.

Anyone who says that sports don't play a major part in American life is wrong, because the reason why Scott Brown won, and the reason why there will not be universal health care is sports. Curt Schilling is one of the most beloved Boston sports figures of all time. He was the pitcher for the Red Sox who beat my beloved Yankees in a key game in the 2004 ALCS (the bloody sock game). The Red
Sox won their first championship in 2004, since 1918, thanks in large part to Curt Schilling. Schilling is a big time Republican who campaigned for Bush in 2004, and McCain in 2008. On a recent radio interview, Martha Coakley, who was Scott Brown's Democratic rival, made one of the biggest political mistakes in the history of the world.

During the interview, Coakley mentioned that Scott Brown had been campaigning with Rudy Giuliani and reminded listeners that Giuliani is a Yankee fan. The interviewer said, that's true but Brown has Curt Schilling on his side. Coakley then said the line that will go down in history as the sentence that prevented universal health care in the United States. Coakley said about Schilling, "And another Yankee fan." Coakley called Curt Schilling a Yankee fan (because she's an idiot) and instantly became the laughingstock of Red Sox crazed Massachusetts (and trust me, in Massachusetts the Red Sox are more popular than Megan Fox is to teenage boys).

Schilling responded by writing on his blog, “I’ve been called a lot of things, but never, and I mean never, could anyone ever make the mistake of calling me a Yankee fan. Well, check that, if you didn’t know what the hell is going on in your own state maybe you could….”

And there it is... That's the reason why Scott Brown won, that's the reason Obama's health care bill will not pass. I hate the Red Sox. I hate Massachusetts.

Scorsese

I was trying to think of something positive that has ever come out of Massachusetts and trust me, it was very difficult. I came up with Bill Simmons (really good writer), and The Departed. Isn't
that ironic, the best thing that ever came out of Boston was a movie made by a New Yorker, Martin Scorsese. Scorsese has a movie coming out in February that I can not wait for; I haven't been this pumped for a movie since last summer's Inglourious Basterds (which definitely lived up to my expectations). Scorsese's new movie is called Shutter Island, starring Leo DiCaprio. Judging by the trailer, it looks very, very scary, and Scorsese has never made a horror movie so I am very, very excited. The funny thing is, is that Shutter Island takes place in New England (I guess it takes a New Yorker to make New England entertaining).

2 comments:

  1. I disagree completely with your political opinion. The reason Coakley did not win is simply because having a Democratically controlled government, in the executive, judicial and legislative branch would be terrible for our country. Also, Massachusetts, a state with an educated and well-off population, simply voted off healthcare because the majority of people there did not want to pay far more money for a plan that could potentially make things worse for those who were insured by a private company. Especially in the middle of a recession, financing a plan that costs hundreds of billions of dollars is simply not financially viable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Health care for all is a good thing. The bills the senate and congress created were a bad thing.
    Here's a good article you'll like from the Wall Street Journal about the Schilling/Coakley issue...

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704320104575015492469566442.html

    ReplyDelete