Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What $1.6 billion buys


On Sunday I went to my first game at the New Meadowlands stadium. My grandpa, who has had Giant's season tickets for over 50 years, and I took the short drive from my home in Demarest to the swamp in East Rutherford to watch the G-men take on the Titans. The game the Giants played was appalling and embarrassing but that's a whole other issue.

As for the new $1.6 billion stadium, I felt sad, frustrated, and flat out angry. Basically, the stadium sucks! There was no reason to build a new one in the first place, but the fact that they did and made it worse, is disgusting.

It is not for the fans! I'm sure the box seats are nice but the average person does not get to go to a box to watch a football game. Big business, corporations, greed, and corruption are taking over professional sports while the working class guy who wants to enjoy himself for a few hours on a sunday is getting screwed. My grandpa, who's been going to games since the Giants played at the Polo Grounds, had to pay more money for his seats this year and the seats are further away and higher up. How did this happen?

Problems with the stadium:
  1. Parking was completely ignored. Getting to the stadium is a nightmare so even if the stadium was great, the experience would still be ruined.
  2. No roof. How can $1.6 billion be spent, and they can't even get a retractable roof so fans don't need to sit in snowy 20 degree weather.
  3. No urinal dividers. For all that money they could at least give people who are peeing a little privacy. I do not enjoy it when a 300 pound drunk guy is rubbing up against me while I'm trying to urinate. $1.6 billion! Give us urinal dividers!
  4. My seats suck! So, this one doesn't concern people who can afford to pay $20,000 PSLs and sit in the front row or in a box but for the normal people...I sit in the upper level and I could barely see the game. We payed more, and got less.
The New Meadowlands stadium is a perfect symbol for America. It's big, expensive, and it doesn't care about the little people. Sports are supposed to be for everybody. I want to get back to the days when it was cheap and fun to go to games, not expensive and tiring. I always loved going to games but maybe sitting on my couch, with my own food, my own bathroom, and a remote to change the channel if its a blowout , is a better option.

When I was younger I loved professional sports. Now that I understand its a business, professional sports make me very sad sometimes. There are 35,490 homeless people in New York City, but there's a brand new $1.6 billion football stadium across the Hudson. and a crappy football stadium at that.

Right now, professional sports seems to be a world where spoiled millionaires complain about playing a game for living, and they can drink and drive and just have to sit out a quarter (Braylon Edwards). Going to the New Meadowlands stadium made me a little sick about how we spend our money in this great country.

Oh, and one more thing! A bottle of water in this stadium is $5.25. That should be a crime.


1 comment: